Today is the day! Today we can do better than yesterday if we so choose. Today we can believe. Today we can speak kind words. Today we can forgive. Today we can rejoice. Today we can love extravagantly. Today we can embrace opportunities to make a difference. Today we can celebrate life.
As for me, this is exactly what I will attempt to do. Here are a few ways I plan to go about it.
- Smile a lot. Smile so much my cheeks hurt. Smile at the funny moments. Smile at my sometimes silly self. Smile at those I love. Smile because this isn’t the way the story ends.
- Watch my words. Carefully. Very carefully. If necessary I will throw my hand over my mouth and keep words of criticism or complaint from falling out and speak words of courage and compassion instead.
- Pursue my dreams and give myself permission to do so without feeling ashamed. I will not ‘despise small beginnings for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin’ Zechariah 4:10
- Give credit where credit is due. I will recognize sincere effort even when there is still a lot to do. I will notice what has been accomplished instead of focusing on what still needs doing.
- Hope will rule this day. Hope for happy days. Hope for better tomorrows. Hope for hidden things to be revealed. Hope for truth. Hope for healing. Hope for moments of delight that will become tomorrow’s precious memories. Hope for flowers to bloom and bees to buzz and birds to sing.
- Whichever way the wind blows today, I will face it and feel it and relish the way it brushes my hair from my cheeks and refreshes my soul and perhaps even takes my breath away momentarily.
- Today I will try. I will try again. I will try my best. I will try in spite of the odds. I will try even if others refuse to cooperate. I will try because it matters to me. I will try to make a difference.
- Today I will tackle a difficult task. I will attempt to accomplish it. Whether I make a monumental or minuscule amount of progress, I will remind myself that this life is a journey and I’m not where I was not where I will be.
- I will avoid the #peacethieves and refuse to expose myself to negative and spiteful people who have an appetite for drama and confusion. For I know, ‘the joy of the Lord is my strength’ Nehemiah 8:10
- Finally I will pray and when I pray I will believe. I will pray for God to do what I cannot. I will do my best and trust God with the rest. I will pray because I accept that I have limits. I will pray because my God does not.